Friday, December 17

mathematics

When I left my boxed township of Illinois farmland to attend my dad's alma mater in the lurid jutting Berkshires of western Massachusetts, I all of a sudden developed a jones for mathematics. I'm starting to see why this was so. College math evokes and catharts a Midwesterner's sickness for home. I'd grown up inside vectors, lines and lines athwart lines, grids--and, on the scale of horizons, broad curving lines of geographic force, the weird topographical drain-swirl of a whole lot of ice-ironed land that sits and spins atop plates. The area behind and below these broad curves at the seam of land and sky I could plot by eye way before I came to know infinitessimals as easements, an integral as schema. Math at a hilly Eastern school was like waking up; it dismantled memory and put it in light.

David Foster Wallace, "Derivative Sport in Tornado Alley"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home